An Athens-Clarke County firefighter from Barrow County has died from injuries sustained in an off-duty tree-trimming accident on Monday.
Matt Hughes, 28, a 2007 graduate of Winder-Barrow High School, was helping a friend trim trees when he was seriously injured. He was transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville where he later died.
His death was announced on Facebook by Athens-Clarke County Emergency Services.
"After a tragic accident yesterday while working an off duty job Firefighter II Matt Hughes has passed away," the statement read. "We would like to send our prayers and condolences to Matt's family and friends. We will post funeral arrangements once they are known.
Latest Top Stories & Breaking News:All Top Stories & Breaking News »
- BOC votes to renew, expand Ft. Yargo lease
- Expletive hurled at Board of Commissioners over speeding on Cash Road
- Commissioners approve re-zonings for subdivisions
- Funding for public defender’s office approved
- Commissioners approve LMIG money for road work
- BOC approves purchase of mowing equipment
- Solar farm rezoning approved