Long-time Barrow County Board of Commission member Steve Worley has been indicted on theft and bribery charges stemming from his former position as Monroe Public Works director in Walton County.
Worley was arrested Thursday on charges of "federal programs theft and federal programs bribery." He has bonded out of jail.
Worley was fired as Monroe Public Works director in early 2013 as city officials said the case involved "abuse or theft of city property" and making false statements to supervisors.
“It was a very bad mistake and it has cost my family and me dearly,” Worley said after he was relieved of his job duties.
Despite the ongoing investigation Worley had remained on the Barrow County Board of Commissioners.
See the April 22 print edition of the Barrow Journal for more information on this story.
Updated: Barrow commissioner Worley indicted
Latest Top Stories & Breaking News:All Top Stories & Breaking News »
- $1.8 million in property taxes remain outstanding for Barrow
- New animal control director seeks better image for department
- Who's behind on paying property taxes?
- $2.7 million in taxes still owed in Barrow
- BOC denies Statham recycling center
- Chamber of Commerce honors county’s finest
- Chamber to host awards dinner