A gas leak caused an Auburn house to explode on Tuesday, Oct. 21, according to investigators with the Barrow County Fire and Emergency Services.
The fire investigation unit said the explosion was the result of LP gas being released from an open line in the basement of the house at 227 Wages Road.
The explosion and resulting fire were the results after an underdetermined ignition source cause the gas to explode. Due to the extent of damage by the explosion and fire, an exact ignition source couldn’t be determined, according to the team.
A mother and her four children were home at the time of the explosion, as well as a neighbor’s child. All six escaped the explosion without injuries.
Meanwhile, the community is reaching out to the family that escaped the explosion.
“There are a lot of people that want to reach out and help this family,” said Lt. Scott Dakin, a spokesperson for the Barrow County Fire and Emergency Services.
“It shows how great the citizens in Barrow are,” he added.
After receiving numerous calls from citizens and businesses wanting to help the family, Dakin joined with Meg Loggins of Rutledge Crane Services to organize a donation drive to help the family. Fire department chaplain Mike Peavy has offered to receive the donations at Bethlehem First Baptist Church.
Donations may be dropped off at the church, located at 548 Hwy. 11 North, Bethlehem, on weekdays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Checks may be made payable to the Barrow County Firefighters Foundation.
“I want to thank Meg Loggins for helping in organizing this as well as Mike Peavy and the members of Bethlehem First Baptist Church for accepting the donations,” Dakin said.
For more information, call Loggins at 678-261-7552.