In the wake of last week’s tragedy at a Connecticut elementary school, Barrow County public schools are in “soft lockdown” today with only one entrance to each building accessible and all classroom doors locked.
Superintendent Wanda Creel on Saturday disseminated to parents via email and phone calls a message of reassurance, informing them of the safety protocols in place. The soft lockdown is one of the safety precautions being taken.
“Although this horrific event happened in a school — schools are one of the safest places our children can be,” Creel stated. “It is important that each of us convey to our children that they are loved and that school is a safe place for learning and growing.”
Since the Dec. 14 shooting, local school and law enforcement personnel have been in close contact, said Winder police chief Dennis Dorsey.
“We tried to keep it as normal as possible, but we’ve stepped up some security things behind the scenes that students will not see,” he said. “There is an increased presence at all of the county schools.”
For the full story, read the Dec. 19 edition of the Barrow Journal
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)