A family of five escaped from an early morning blaze early Saturday, but they were displaced by the heavy damage to their mobile home on Briscoe Mill Road in Bethlehem. The cause of the fire was a charcoal grill that had been used earlier in the evening and left on the porch, according to Lt. Scott Dakin, public information officer for Barrow County Emergency Services.
The call to the E-911 Center came in at 3:18 a.m. April 14, and three county engines responded. But when they arrived at the scene, the home already was engulfed in flames.
"Due to the amount of fire, firefighters had to make an aggressive attack from outside of the home," Dakin said in a press release.
He said grills should be used away from homes and decks and not below eaves or overhanging tree limbs.
"You should also keep in mind that the coals in the grill will stay heated for hours after use."