BY KRISTI REED
Barrow County voters are eager to have their say in the upcoming primary if early voting is any indication.
As of Tuesday evening, 654 votes had been cast in two days of voting. During the presidential primary earlier this year, only 479 votes had been registered after the same period of time.
Barrow County Board of Commissioners chairman Doug Garrison said that turnout for early voting has been very good so far. At Tuesday night’s board of commissioners meeting, Garrison reported that 333 people had voted Monday and 321 voted Tuesday.
Advance voting for the July 15 primary will continue through Friday, July 11. The polls are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day in the commission meeting room at the Barrow County Administration Building, 233 East Broad Street, Winder.
In other business, the board:
• approved the purchase of a $22,621 Ford F-250 pickup truck for the leisure services department. The vehicle will be purchased with SPLOST funds.
• approved the selection of Allen Smith as grant administrator for 2008-2010. Allen Smith will assist the county in obtaining and administering Employment Incentive Program (EIP) grants and Community Development Block (CDB) Grants.
• approved an agreement with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division to allow the county to conduct reviews and approve certain sewer service extensions. The county will still be required to submit plans for sewer lines greater than 36 inches in diameter and pump stations with capacities of 700 gallons per minute or greater to the EPD for approval.
• approved a contract with Sentinel Offender Services to provide probate management services for the Barrow County Superior and Probate Courts contingent upon Sentinel’s agreement to certain modifications recommended by the county attorney. The probate services are provided to Barrow County at no cost. The offenders are responsible for payment of services.
• approved a contract with Providence Community Corrrections to provide probate management services for the Barrow County Magistrate Court contingent upon their agreement to certain modifications recommended by the county attorney. The probate services are provided to Barrow County at no cost. The offenders are responsible for payment of services.
The Barrow County Board of Commissioners’ next meeting will be July 22 at 7 p.m. The board meets at the Barrow County Administration Building located at 233 East Broad Street in Winder.