Barrow County Emergency Services personnel received a structure fire call last Thursday at 829 Hwy. 211 NW. Engines 5 and 6, Med 5 and 6 and Battalion 1 were dispatched to the location.
“First arriving firefighters found a horse barn with an apartment above it,” said Lt. Scott Dakin. “Fire was visible from the entrance to the apartment and in a window of the apartment.”
Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the barn below. One horse was saved from the barn by the first firefighters on the scene. The fire did displace the tenant of the apartment, according to Dakin.
The investigation into the fire determined a space heater was placed too close to combustibles or that it had been connected to an overloaded circuit breaker. The investigation into the fire continues, Dakin said.