Recently, Barrow County Emergency Services responded to a medical emergency they did not expect.
Firefighter Joe Baird was found on the scene and rushed by ambulance to Athens Regional Medical Center where he was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
“His family was told that he probably would not survive this,” said Chief John Skinner.
“With our job, you know there will be calls that are hard on you mentally,” said Chief Skinner. “On this particular call these four guys not only had to deal with a true medical emergency, but also had to deal with the fact it was one of their own co-workers. That is the type of call none of us want to run and yet the four of them remained professional and gave the best possible care.”
Barrow County fireman Joe Baird, shown with his family, made a speedy recovery following a recent battle with bacterial meningitis.
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)