Firefighters with Barrow County Emergency Services were called to deal with two chimney fires during the past week.
The first fire, reported on the evening of March 14, was extinguished by the East Bay Street homeowner before firefighters arrived.
“The homeowner advised firefighters he had poured kerosene onto the fire in the fireplace to try to get it burning quicker,” said Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin. “This caused the fire to go up the chimney and hot embers to spread from the top.”
Dakin advised homeowners to avoid pouring any kind of flammable liquids into a fireplace.
“The resulting fire could have completely destroyed the entire home,” Dakin said.
Firefighters were also dispatched to another chimney fire with a possible explosion in the 800 block of Mill Brook Lane.
Engines 4 and 6, Ladder 7, Med 4 and Battalion 1 responded to the scene. First arriving firefighters found fire showing from the top of the chimney. Upon further investigation, firefighters also found fire in the attic of the home. Firefighters also noted a large portion of sheet rock that had been blown away from the wall in the area of the chimney.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and started removing debris from around the affected area. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Fire investigator Mark Siegel determined the cause of the damaged drywall was from a smoke explosion, which resulted from a build-up of smoke in a void area.
Two grass fires reported in one day
Firefighters with Barrow County Emergency Services were kept busy on March 9 as two grass fires were reported.
The first, reported just after 11 a.m., was located in the 800 block of Dee Kennedy Road. First arriving firefighters found a large area of grass involved near a residence.
“Firefighters started working on several sides of the grass fire to protect several exposures,” said Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin. “They were able to bring the fire under control in about ten minutes which stopped it from spreading into an area of woods or damaging the structure it was near.”
One residence was damaged as a result of the fire. Heat from the blaze caused damage to the siding of the house.
Engines 4 and 5, Med 5 and Battalion 1 responded to this call due to the amount of fire and concerns that residential structures were at risk.
Chief Investigator Lt. Blair Darst said high winds and tall dry grass were responsible for the large amount of fire. Darst’s investigation revealed that the fire originated on the exterior of the structure. Currently, the cause of the fire is undetermined and remains under investigation.
Just before 2:30 p.m. later that afternoon, another grass fire was reported in the 2400 block of Glen Jackson Road. First arriving crews found approximately three quarters of an acre of grass on fire with numerous outbuildings and trailers close to the area of fire. Within 15 minutes firefighters were able to extinguish the fire without having any major damage to the exposures. The cause of the fire was attributed to welding work that was going on in the area at the time.
Grease fire results in minor damage
A Carl business escaped major damage after a grease fire ignited in a commercial oven.
Communication Officers with Barrow County Emergency Services received a 911 call at 3:25 a.m. Wednesday morning reporting a fire at 1132 Atlanta Highway in Carl. Communication officers dispatched Engines 4 and 5, Truck 7, Med 4 and Battalion 1.
“First arriving firefighters found Auburn Police Department Officers on the scene with the majority of fire extinguished,” said Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin. “After making entry into the structure they found fire in a commercial grill/oven.”
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire and ventilated the smoke from the structure. The cause of the fire is listed as a buildup of grease from previous cooking on the grill. Damage was contained to the grill and oven combination as well as the exhaust system.
“Citizens need to remember, whether at a restaurant or even your own home, you need to keep your stoves and ovens clean,” Dakin said. “If you have a buildup of grease a fire such as this can ignite and potentially destroy your home or business.