At least eight people have been identified as victims of fraud in incidents believed to be related to a Feb. 20 theft of mail at the Statham Post Office.
In each case, checks drawn on the victim’s bank accounts have been passed in North Carolina.
Inv. Buddy Hardigree said progress is being made in the investigation, but was not at liberty to elaborate further.
The investigation is being conducted by the Statham Police Department and the U.S. Postal Inspectors Office.
Other recent incidents investigated by Statham Police include:
• burglary on Eighth Street. A home was entered on March 3, but no items were reported missing.
• hit and run on Providence Road. A pedestrian sustained minor injuries as a result of the March 4 incident. The investigation is ongoing.
• accident on Atlanta Highway. On March 3, two vehicles collided near the intersection of Dooleytown Road and Atlanta Highway. There were no injuries.
• accident on Second Street. No injuries were reported in the one vehicle accident which occurred on March 6.
• accident on Hwy. 316 east of Wall Road. No one was injured in the March 13 wreck.
Arrests made by Statham Police in the past two weeks include:
• Donna Hewlett, 50, of Athens, was arrested on Feb. 26 after she lost control of her vehicle and struck a tree on Jefferson Street. Hewlett was later located at St. Mary’s Hospital where she was charged with DUI, hit and run, driving while license suspended, failure to maintain lane and violation of limited permit.
• Byron Mejia-Perez, 24, of Athens was charged with driving while license suspended after a March 1 traffic stop.
• Dennis Steve McDonald, 56, of 145 Bernice Drive in Bogart was charged with driving while license suspended after a traffic stop on March 8.
• Hugh Jonathan Crowe, 47, of Winder was charged with probation violation.
For the two weeks ending March 13, Statham officers issued 33 traffic citations seven warnings.