A motorist spotted an Auburn Police officer waiting to turn right on Hwy. 8 and stopped to advise him that the car which had just passed their location was possibly being operated by an impaired driver.
The officer immediately went in pursuit of the vehicle and noticed the driver weaving in and out of his lane. After witnessing the driver weave across the double yellow line and back across the fog line, the officer initiated a traffic stop.
The driver, Kenneth James Schantz, 29, of 2743 Pinebloom Way in Duluth, had difficulty locating his license and the officer noticed that Schantz’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy. The officer noted that Schantz’s speech was slurred and his body movements seemed to be delayed.
When asked to exit the vehicle, Schantz could barely stand unassisted. When asked if he had taken any medications or illegal narcotics, Schantz admitted taking a Xanax approximately 30 minutes prior to the traffic stop.
Schantz agreed to undergo field sobriety testing, but was unable to complete the battery of tests. He was arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and transported to the Gwinnett County Detention Center.
Other recent arrests made by Auburn Police include:
• Bobby Dwayne Martin, 40, 962 Auburn Road, Dacula, family violence battery.
• Bryan Keith Bryant, 40, 316 Carter Road, Auburn, failure to appear.
• Thomas Alexander Glass, 17, 4353 Saddlecreek Court, Auburn, disorderly conduct.
• Ulices Bernal Medina, 35, 316 Carter Road, Auburn, driving while unlicensed and failure to yield while turning left.
• Jerry Dan Grissom Jr., 34, 178 Double Bridges Road, Jefferson, bench warrant.
• Tanya Sue Self, 40, 289 Clover Drive, Auburn, failure to appear and expired tag.
• Rikio M. Foster, 53, 90 Mount Moriah Road, Auburn, probation violation.
• Anthony D. Shaw, 28, 1534 Hunter’s Cove, Auburn, speeding and driving while license suspended.
• Andrew James Lamkin, 25, 1603 River Glen Road, Auburn, driving while license suspended.