The Barrow County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating a Jan. 28 burglary on Cherokee Road in Winder.
Two televisions, two DVD players, a Dell laptop, an Onkyo stereo and two pairs of speakers were stolen along with an unknown amount of Lortab and Xanax. Multiple article of clothing were also taken. The total value of the missing items was estimated to be over $6,800.
Two rear windows of the residence were damaged during the burglary.
That same day, another burglary was reported on Arnold Road. Three remote control helicopters and eight Wii video games valued at $410 were stolen.
On Jan. 29, a burglary was reported at a storage facility on Atlanta Highway. Approximately $4,075 worth of items were removed from a storage unit.
Other recent incidents investigated by Sheriff’s deputies include:
• theft by taking and criminal trespass on East Wright Street. A woman reported that her former roommates stole 15 DVDs, a hairdryer and a wallet containing $200 in cash from her apartment. The woman also said the suspects urinated on her mattress.
• burglary on Golf Course Road. Two pistols and holsters were taken from a residence. The Glock 24 .40 caliber and the Bersa Thunder .380 are valued at approximately $800.
• complaint on Loganville Highway. A child was left unattended in a car while the mother shopped at Target. The mother said the child had fallen asleep and she did not want to wake him.
• theft by taking on Monroe Highway. A man reported that someone stole $3,000 that had been hidden in his bathroom.
• suspicious incident on Patrick Mill Road. A woman called police after noticing a suspicious vehicle in a business parking lot.
• complaint on Smith Mill Road. A tenant accused her landlord of trying to negotiate sex instead of money to pay rent owed.
• financial transaction card fraud on Clacktown Road. A man reported that an unknown person attempted to buy a computer using his debit card.
• complaint on Regency Drive. A woman said she was having trouble with her estranged husband.
• harassment on Smith Mill Road. A woman cursed at her boyfriend’s mother when the woman allowed her son’s ex-girlfriend to visit.
• harassing phone calls on Elliot Lane. A female received approximately 15 calls in a two-hour time period from her boyfriend’s mother.
• harassment on Patrick Mill Road. A convenience store clerk called 911 after several male subjects reportedly harassed him regarding access to a game room that has not yet officially opened.
• animal complaint on Elise Drive. The complainant’s dog was killed by a dog belonging to neighbors. Animal control was notified.
• suspicious incident on Amber Ridge Road. A homeowner noticed a woman loitering in the area of phone and cable junction boxes. When he asked what she was doing, the woman got in her car and quickly left the neighborhood.
• theft of services on Highway 124. Deputies investigated the theft of electricity from a business. A nearby resident used numerous extension cords to tap the power supply at the business.
• custody dispute on East Midland Avenue. A woman called police because she feared her ex-boyfriend would attempt to take custody of their three children.
• mail theft on Bridge Crest Drive. A homeowner reported that several items of mail including bills and checks have failed to arrive at their intended destination. After contacting the postal service, she was advised to file a report with local authorities as well.
• identity fraud on Old Hog Mountain Road. A woman reported that several fraudulent charges had been made using her debit card.
• suspicious incident on East Wright Street. A woman received a call from a man with a foreign accent inquiring about her Medicare card and bank accounts. The woman refused to give the caller any information.
• motor vehicle theft on Finch Road. A 1948 Ford coupe valued at $15,000 was reported stolen.
• complaint on Lochwolde Lane. A man sought help in getting a vehicle from his 18-year-old daughter. The man wanted the vehicle back, but the car was titled in both their names.
• recovered stolen vehicle on Smith Mill Road. Authorities located a 2007 Toyoto Solara which had been reported stolen in Jefferson.
• suspicious incident on Sunset Road. An alert neighbor notified a homeowner that two men were in his carport. When the homeowner turned on the lights, the men fled in a red compact car.
• criminal trespass on Mount Moriah Road. A vehicle was damaged.
• criminal damage to property on Ridgeview Road. A tenant maliciously damaged several pieces of furniture and threatened to burn down the landlord’s house.