A Jan. 2 fire on Carl Bethlehem Road started when an extension cord was used to provide power to a camper trailer, according to Lieutenant Scott Dakin, public information officer for Barrow County Fires and Emergency Services.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 900 block of Carl Bethlehem Road just after 5 a.m. Saturday morning. Crews arrived to find tires and rubbish burning between a mobile home and a camper trailer. The fire extended to the camper trailer.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire in the camper trailer and outside very quickly,” Dakin said.
The camper trailer suffered minor damage as a result of the fire.
Barrow County Sheriff’s Deputies were called to the scene for code enforcement.
Overloading any electrical cord or placing objects on an electrical cord can result in heating or arcing from the cord and may cause a fire, Dakin said.