Barrow County firefighters were dispatched to Euclid Street in Statham early on Jan. 2 after residents discovered smoke emanating from the heating vents.
First arriving firefighters found light smoke in the residence.
“Firefighters entered the crawl space of the home looking for a source of the smoke,” said Lieutenant Scott Dakin, public information officer for Barrow County Fires and Emergency Services. “Using a thermal imaging camera they were able to find an electrical problem with the heating system that was producing the smoke.”
The electricity to the heating system was turned off to prevent a fire. Firefighters remained on the scene to remove smoke from the residence. The tenants were advised to have the heating system repaired before attempting to use the heating unit.
Citizens should make sure heating systems are in good working order, Dakin said.
“No matter what type of system you have they need to be maintained and operated safely,” he said.