A Winder man was transported to Barrow Regional Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries after an early morning explosion at his home.
Winder Police and emergency services personnel were dispatched to 10 South Williams Street at approximately 3 a.m. on Jan. 1 in reference to a home explosion.
Officers arrived to find the front door and several windows blown out of the residence. Several family members were still inside the residence and were immediately evacuated to a safe location.
According to the Winder Fire Department, the residence suffered structural damage. The initial investigation indicated a resident had attempted to install LP gas (from a LP gas tank) into a natural gas wall heater. When ignition occurred, there was an explosion.
The Winder Fire Department issued a statement reminding citizens of the danger posed by improper use of heating equipment. Citizens are advised not to install heating equipment without professional help and to make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
Fire personnel also urge citizens not to use drop cords with electric space heaters.
The American Red Cross is providing services to the displaced family.