With the weather turning colder, Barrow County Fire and Emergency Services is reminding citizens to take precautions when using fireplaces.
On Saturday, Nov. 28, firefighters responded to a chimney fire at a residence on Dee Kennedy Road. Firefighters found sparks coming from the chimney and smoke in the residence. Deputy Chief Bryan Bullock responded to the scene along with Engines 4 and 5 and Med 4. After extinguishing the flames in the chimney, firefighters ventilated the smoke from the residence.
Officials determined the fire was caused by a build-up of creosote in the chimney.
“We want to remind citizens that they need to clean their chimneys and have them inspected,” said Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin. “When using a fireplace, the chimney has a build-up of creosote that can ignite from your fire.”
In a separate incident on Nov. 28, emergency services personnel were dispatched to a two vehicle accident at the intersection of Hwy. 316 and Hwy. 211 in Statham. Engines 1 and 3, Med 3 and 7 and Battalion 1 responded to the scene.
A total of three patients were transported to area hospitals.