An Auburn Police officer found drugs and other items after stopping a car when he noticed the driver and front seat passenger were not wearing seatbelts.
As the officer approached the vehicle, he noticed a third passenger, later identified as Sheena Marie McGonigle, 24, of 628 Sarnael Court in Lawrenceville asleep in the back seat of the vehicle.
When asked for his license, the driver, Joshua Stephen Gibby, 25, of 1103 Mealor Road in Lawrenceville, informed the officer that he did not have it with him because his wallet had been stolen. Gibby provided his name and date of birth to the officer. When the officer asked dispatch to check for a license, the man returned wanted out of Jackson County for failure to appear. The officer placed Gibby under arrest and then returned to the vehicle to interview the female passengers.
The officer noticed that the vehicle occupants seemed extremely nervous. According to the report, the females kept looking at the glove box and then at each other. When the officer asked if there was anything illegal in the vehicle, the front seat passenger and vehicle owner, Judith Paige Edwards, 22, of 991 Culpepper Road in Carnesville, said she did not think so and gave consent for the officer to search the vehicle. Edwards provided the officer with a key to the locked glove box and confirmed that she was consenting to a full search of the vehicle.
Inside the glove box, the officer found a loaded .38 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol. The officer also found a small pink bag containing drug related objects. All three vehicle occupants were informed that they were being placed under arrest for possession of drug related objects at that time.
Upon a complete search of the vehicle, officers found three digital scales, four pocket knives, several small baggies, two Georgia driver’s licenses, two laptop computers later determined to be stolen, two web cameras, a calculator, suspected methamphetamine and several other drug related objects.
Gibby, Edwards and McGonigle were charged with transactions of noncontrolled substances, transactions in drug related objects and possession of firearm or knife while trying to commit a crime. McGonigle faces additional charges of terroristic threats and acts and possession or use of a false identification document. Gibby was also charged with possession or use of a false identification document.
Other arrests made by Auburn Police this past week include:
• Martin Nicanor Arias, 47, 174 Pine Hill Road, Auburn, aggravated assault, disorderly conduct and giving false information to a law enforcement officer.
• Dillon Michael Champagne, 23, 1101 Colbert Street, Mandeville, La., hold for other agency.
• Aaron Francis Lowe, 23 165 Elk Grove Drive, Auburn, DUI, failure to maintain lane, too fast for conditions, driving in violation of license restrictions, VGCSA and drugs to be kept in original container.
• Jonathan Whitney Spiecha, 19, 1055 Atlanta Highway, Auburn, probation violation.
• Jeffrey Dale Phillips, 43, 2305 Rosedale Road, Snellville, possession of drug related objects.
• Amber Nicole Spinks, 22, 145 Patrick Mill Road, Auburn, possession of drug related objects.
Incidents investigated by Auburn Police this past week include: