A Winder man was attacked by two men last week after he was unable to repay a debt.
The victim said Phillip Clifford Wells Jr., age 37, of 411 Tanners Bridge Circle in Bethlehem, came to his house demanding repayment of a $5 debt. Since the victim had no money, he asked Wells to leave. When Wells acted as if he wanted to fight, the victim called police for help.
By the time police arrived, Wells had left the scene. The responding officer patrolled the area in an attempt to find Wells but was unsuccessful.
A short time later, the officer was dispatched once again to the victim’s house. The victim said Wells and another man, Sidney Lamarcus Lee, age 49, of 128 Elm Street in Winder, had “jumped” him after the officer left.
The victim said Lee struck him in the face and that Wells struck him and cut his finger with a knife.
The officer went to Lee’s house and asked him what had transpired. Lee admitted accompanying Wells to the victim’s house, but denied harming the victim. The officer noted that Lee had scratches on his head as if he had been fighting. When the officer asked about the scratches, Lee said they came from “his wild woman.”
A criminal background check revealed that Lee had an active warrant for his arrest. The officer took Lee into custody and then located Wells at the corner of Elm Street and Wood Avenue.
Wells also denied harming the victim.
Based on statements by the victim and by another person in the house at the time of the incident, both Lee and Wells were arrested and charged with battery.
Other arrests made by Winder Police this past week include:
• Carl Henry Fletcher, 44, 155 Horton Street, Winder, public drunkenness and disorderly conduct.
• Jeremy McDaniel, 45, 18 Duke Street, Winder, disorderly conduct.
• Charles Keith Barrett, 36, 149 Walker Street, Winder, shoplifting.
• Jacob Lee Taylor, 19, 144 West May Street, Winder, possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, possession of drug related objects and underage consumption of alcohol.
• Stephon Chadwick Kinney, 17, 599 Peters Street, Statham, criminal trespass and possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.
• Johnny Clifford Shields III, 33, 701 Wilbanks Road, Winder, sentenced.