Skip to first row site navigation
Skip to second row site navigation
Skip to news entries
Skip to archive page
Skip to double wide sidebar
Skip to tabbed sidebar
WPD offers Halloween safety tips
E-Edition (Online Paper)
Barrow County Legal Organ
WPD offers Halloween safety tips
Public Safety Archives
Wednesday, October 28. 2009
The Winder Police Department would like to remind parents to take basic safety precautions in order to make Halloween a safer night of fun.
• Wear a bright in color costume or add reflective tape to costumes and candy bags so children are easily seen in the dark.
• Flame resistant does not mean fire proof. Keep trick or treaters away from flames.
• Make sure the costume does not block the child’s view.
• Keep costumes short to prevent trips and falls.
• Pirates, cowboys and other weapon - accessorized children should carry props that are obviously fake and cannot cause injury.
TRICK OR TREATING SAFETY
• Do not let young children trick or treat alone. Children should always be accompanied by a parent or another trusted adult. Older children should always travel in groups.
• Carry a flashlight. This will allow children to see where they are going but more importantly it will allow for someone driving down the street to see them.
• Trick-or-Treat in familiar neighborhoods with well-lit streets. Avoid unfamiliar neighborhoods, streets that are isolated or homes that are poorly lit inside or outside.
• Be mindful of traffic. Drivers may not be able to see every pedestrian. Be cautious as you are crossing the streets and try to stay to one side of the roadway.
• Walk younger children to the door to receive treats and never enter the home of a stranger.
• Older children should let their parents or guardian know where they plan to go.
• Make sure children know their home phone number and address in case you get separated. Teach children how to call 911 in an emergency.
• Remind children not to eat any of their treats until they get home.
• Only eat unopened candies and other treats that are in original wrappers.
Trackback specific URI for this entry
Display comments as (
In reply to
[ Top level ]
E-Mail addresses will not be displayed and will only be used for E-Mail notifications.
To leave a comment you must approve it via e-mail, which will be sent to your address after submission.
To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
Enter the string from the spam-prevention image above:
What is five plus five?
Subscribe to this entry
Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.
Martin goes from chief to administrator
Fri, Jul 25, 2014 - 08:31 AM
So, the city is bankrupt because the police department makes up over 50% of the budget. The ci [...]
Barrow officials warn of jury scam
Fri, Jul 25, 2014 - 07:40 AM
This resembles the scam call I read at Callercenter. The recipient received a call about missi [...]
Worley ordeal under FBI review
Thu, Jul 24, 2014 - 03:51 PM
I have known Steve Worley for over ten years. Although I know no person is without faults, wha [...]
BOE incumbents Holland, Dunn ousted in runoff
Wed, Jul 23, 2014 - 03:30 PM
WAY TO GO DEBI, WAY TO GO. Looking forward to all the great ideas you will bring to the table!
Synthetic marijuana forum sparks community discussion
Wed, Jul 23, 2014 - 01:43 AM
Hi guys, I’m doing a quick 2 minute survey about smoking weed & driving your car – I would rea [...]
Two Barrow BOE members ousted
Tue, Jul 22, 2014 - 10:33 PM
Once Hice is making a congressional salary of $174,000, I hope he remembers to repay the Barro [...]
Free email preview
Signup to receive Journal Headline Previews and Breaking News Email Alerts
This Week's Poll
Apalachee High School
Barrow County Board of Commissioners
Barrow County Board of Education
Barrow County Emergency Services
barrow county gop
barrow county historical society
Barrow County Schools
Barrow County Sheriff
Barrow fire and EMS
City of Winder
fire and EMS
Georgia State Patrol
Meet the Candidates
Public Safety Headlines
Shelli Bond Pabis
Top Stories & Breaking News
Winder-Barrow High School
Winder fire department
Winder Police Department
Copyright © 2008-2012 MainStreet Newspapers, Inc.