Two men were arrested last week after an alert police officer spotted a suspicious vehicle.
The officer was patrolling on Capitol Avenue at approximately 2:45 a.m. when she spotted a gold Impala that had fled from her earlier in the shift.
Once backup arrived, the officers asked the four adult occupants of the vehicle why they were in the area at that time of the night.
The driver claimed she was looking for her cell phone and that the other people in the vehicle were assisting her.
When asked if they were in the area to buy drugs, all of the vehicle occupants said they were not. They also denied having any drugs inside the vehicle.
The driver said she did not do drugs and did not associate with drug users. She then invited the officers to search her vehicle.
The officers accepted her offer and asked the occupants to exit the vehicle.
One of the occupants, Steve Reggie Higgins, age 40 of 38 Vintage Court in Winder, repeatedly said he did not have any drugs on his person. Higgins then gave consent for the officer to search him. During the search, the officer found a small bag of marijuana in Higgins’ pocket. The officer also located a price sheet for drugs and rolling papers.
Another occupant, Brandon Steve Higgins, age 17, also of 38 Vintage Court in Winder, had a marijuana grinder, a small amount of marijuana, scales and rolling papers in his possession.
Both men were arrested and charged with marijuana possession. Brandon Higgins faces an additional charge of possession of a drug related object.
Other arrests made by Winder Police this past week include:
• Jesus Garcia Delgado, 20, 820 Brandon Drive, Winder, DUI, consumption of alcohol by a minor and failure to maintain lane.
• Kevin Lamar Faulkner, 30, 2110 Monroe Jersey Road, Monroe, probation violation.
• Ryan Jerel Jackson, 21, 426 North Ridge Lane, Winder, party to the crime of robbery.
• Kimberly Star Mullins, 29, 194 Glenview Terrace, Winder, battery and parole violation.
• Willie Lee Norman, Jr., 41, 28 Lay Street Apt. B, Winder, aggravated battery, battery and cruelty to children.
• Rodney Ray Norris, 41, 316 Carter Road, Auburn, public drunkenness and solicitation by roadway.
• Adrian Latrease Rhodes, 40, 226 Dreamland Circle, Winder, theft by shoplifting, simple battery and probation violation.
• Jessica Dawn Rumley, 29, 934 Atlanta Highway, Winder, burglary.
• Landeeze Artagus Sims, 20, 659 Chicken Lyle Road, Winder, cruelty to children, criminal trespass, possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, failure to appear, probation violation, battery and aggravated assault.
• Gina Marie Williams, 19, 27 East Williams Street, Winder, party to the crime of burglary.
• Lanny Nelson Williams, 33, 27 East Williams Street, Winder, party to the crime of burglary.
• Demetrio Calvillo Altunez, 33, 113 Hunter Crossing, Athens, driving while unlicensed, obstruction of a law enforcement officer and window tint violation.
• Terry Johan Amos, 30, 410 Fox Dale Road, Winder, probation violation.
• Sherry Elizabeth Atwood, 34, 65 McElroy Street, Winder, burglary.
• Donald Ashley Foster Barnette, 39, 1428 Box Circle, Winder, simple battery and battery.
• Thomas Frank Consentino, 54, 599 Mossy Trace, Winder, hit and run, DUI and failure to maintain lane.
• Velina Joyce Dunkentell, 48, 274 King Street, Winder, driving in violation of limited permit, DUI and failure to maintain lane.
• Carlos Gutierrez, 52, 1143 Yearwood Road, Bethlehem, driving while license suspended.