More than two years after their 18-year-old son died at a prom party, the parents of Leland Martin Jr. last week for the first time laid eyes on the woman whom they hold at least partly responsible for his death.
The heart-wrenching encounter took place late in the afternoon of Aug. 6, minutes after 41-year-old Barbara Ann Michael of Auburn pled guilty to eight misdemeanors stemming from the incident in her home and was sentenced to serve 30 days in the Barrow County Detention Center and to pay a $4,000 fine.
Michael was not charged with the Winder-Barrow High School senior’s death because he was 18 and died accidentally. A non-drinker, the youth became so intoxicated at the April 28, 2007, after-prom party that he passed out while lying face down across an ottoman. His neck was over his arm, cutting off his air supply. An autopsy showed that he died of accidental asphyxiation.
For the full story, see the August 12 issue of the Barrow Journal.
This is unbelievable. If an adult is aware of what is going on in their home where alcohol is being given to children they should be held accountable for whatever happens. This is so sad. I agree with the comment above. I am not God and by all means am not trying to judge anyone but I have very strong feelings about someone giving someone elses child drugs and or alcohol. It is bad enough that you would give it to your own and think that is okay but to give it to someone elses child is for sure by far the worst thing ever. Wake up people ! Our children don't need encouragement, they need someone to be there to tell them this is not the path you want to go down.If I were ever in this situation I truely don't know what I would do. This is something that you have to just put in Gods hands and pray about it. I am so sorry that this family had to go through this.This is terrible.
The woman allowed alcohol to be served at her house to minors which is against the law. She was charged with the crime and paid the price for the crime. I'm sure she didn't want anybody to get hurt, but she made a mistake just as the boy who died did. It is a very sad story that isn't helped by blaming people and pointing fingers.
Also, I don't think it was the first party that she allowed alcohol. I have teenagers and when there are kids over (which is frequent) I hide our alcohol. They are kids! They will make mistakes. The adult should have been more responsible.