Poultry feed being processed in a silo at Harrison Poultry’s feed mill on Midland Avenue caught fire Tuesday afternoon. The fire smoldered but did not spread beyond the silo and caused no injuries, said Winder Fire Chief Ray Mattison. Smoke was visible as firefighters shut down East Midland Avenue for one-and-a-half hours.
But the 65-foot-high silo is totally contained within the mill; so hours later, the only evidence of the emergency were hundreds of feet of yellow fire hose along the shoulder of the street, two red fire trucks in a parking area adjacent to the mill, and several firefighters talking with company representatives.
The exact cause of the fire is still to be determined, Mattison said.
“They think somewhere in the process, they introduced a product in the silo that had smoldering fire,” he said.
Because no dust is created during the milling process, there was never any danger of an explosion, Mattison added.
The city fire department dispatched three pumper trucks, a rescue unit and the city’s new 75-foot ladder truck to the scene, he said.
It was the first time the ladder of the new ladder truck has been extended for possible use during a fire, but the fire did not require the use of the truck, the chief said.
No one from the company was available for comment.