Two Winder-Barrow High School students were arrested Friday in connection with the Jan. 13 bomb threat that forced the evacuation of the high school.
The 15-year-old female and the 16-year-old male were taken to the Regional Youth Detention Center in Gainesville, where they will remain until a hearing, according to a press release from the Winder Police Department.
Capt. Dennis Dorsey, commander of the Uniformed Patrol Division, said the students were arrested at the high school.
The girl is facing a felony charge of transmitting a false public alarm and a misdemeanor charge disruption of a public school. Dorsey said the misdemeanor is of a “high and aggravated nature.” The boy is facing a felony charge of being a party to the crime of transmitting a false public alarm and disruption of a public school.
The investigation by School Resource Officer Tim Harrell revealed that the bomb threat had been made on a cell phone from inside the school.
“The actual call took place between classes in the hallway of the high school,” the press release states.
Harrell said the investigation took longer than expected due to the number of witnesses who had to be interviewed. While such investigations can be challenging, Winder police have little difficulty tracking down calls made even from pre-paid phones.
“This was the third bomb threat in recent memory, and all suspects have been identified and charged,” Harrell said. “People need to realize that if you think your phone is untraceable, you are wrong.”
The felony charges are punishable by one to five years of incarceration and a fine of up to $1,000, Dorsey said.